Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dabangg in a single screen theatre that only turned into a resolve as the film came closer to its release. Public Views.

Public loves Salman in Dabangg
Tuesday, September 14, 2010, 17:52 [IST]
By: Joginder Tuteja, Bollywood Hungama



Which was the last movie that I saw in a single screen theatre? I don't remember. What I know for sure is that it was at least seven years back. My earliest experience of being hooked on to a multiplex was Ajay Devgn's Qayamat (2003). Reason being that I was mighty impressed with the cinematography and sound design coupled with good use of digital colour correction of the film that made me swear off single screen theatres for good. It was during this time that the leading multiplex chain was mushrooming with branches all over while newer players were looking at making their presence felt as well.

It was bye-bye single screens and their not-so-cushiony chairs and the hostile staff and the trouble to get the best seats and the time restriction of half a day divided into four quarters and unhygienic candy bars and (excuse me for saying this) the kind of crowd that I wasn't quite comfortable sitting with, courtesy the fact that I was married and hence had to show off my 'class'. Despite the fact that balcony did place me at least 30 feet above this crowd, I made a swift move to multiplexes to be amongst the elite.


But then the first promo of Dabangg released and something just happened to my psyche:

I had an adrenalin rush. Fine.

I wanted to watch the film. Fine.

I was curious to check it out with a bunch of friends. Doubly fine.

I wanted to watch it in a single screen theatre. What? Now where did this come from?

In this week's 'Reflections', let me talk about a vow of seven years being broken and subsequent magic that was relived once the curtains came up in the single screens for Dabangg.

Initial reactions

Honestly, it was a sudden thought of watching Dabangg in a single screen theatre that only turned into a resolve as the film came closer to its release. The germ of this thought must have been sown around three weeks back when it was written all over that the entire country would check out this Salman Khan starrer once at least. However, it was the 'chillar appeal' of the film that made me drop that snobbish persona and say to myself - 'Ok, so you really want to enjoy this magic then well, check it out in a single screen'.

My wife was surprised but supportive. Her only condition - 'Don't ask me out'. Believe me, I didn't. After all I had just accompanied her for We Are Family a week earlier and after the quintessential multiplex affair, I wanted to have my share of fun as well. So there I picked up my cell phone, called my dear friend Nitin, informed him that he could ask his wife to take a vacation for this Friday and it was going to be a guys only outing for an event called Dabangg. He complied, a couple of other friends didn't. One was scared that this 'act' (come on now!) would make him go down in his wife's eyes; the other just went 'Eeeks'........

No comments:

Post a Comment