Friday, October 8, 2010

I am a man and I am a woman, and I can be this and I can be that.

I am a man & a woman: Begum Nawazish
Chandna Arora, TNN,
Oct 8, 2010, 12.00am IST







Begum Nawazish Ali aka Ali Saleem, Pakistan's well-known, cross-dressing, saucy TV show host, says she can defend herself easily in the 'Bigg Boss 4' house

How did "Bigg Boss" happen?
Kahaani shuru hui thi pichle saal, jab "Bigg Boss 3" ho raha tha aur Amitabh Bachchan the "Bigg Boss". Mujhe phone aaya tha aur mujhe bahut khushi aur excitement hui thi, but I wasn't able to come because unfortunately, relations between India and Pakistan at that time were not very cordial. I did not get my visa in time and could not make it to the last season.

This time around, when I got this offer and was told that Salman Khan was going to be the "Bigg Boss", I felt that everything happens in life for a reason. Because I thought that it was even better that I appear with Salman, since I've heard that he's a lot more fun and he has that kind of image na – of being naughty and funny. I thought it would give me more room to play around. This is something I'm going to enjoy.

It's clear from previous seasons that you can't be a very goody-goody person inside the house. Do you think you have the claws and arts required to protect yourself?
Darling, I have all the claws and swords and arrows and guns and tacks that one needs to protect oneself. But I would not like to use any of these things. I'd like to use my charm to get by; I'd like to use my positivity and friendliness and my comfort with myself to get along. I'll try my utmost not to get provoked and get involved in any fight or aggression or conflict, but of course, if one is pushed against the wall, then one must and one has to stand up for oneself. I'm quite capable of holding my ground, but I have no intentions of making anyone else uncomfortable or of targeting anyone. I'm going to try and keep it as amicable as possible.

The channel usually looks for people with a 'troublemaker image' for the show. Do you think you have that kind of image?
Not a troublemaker image, exactly, but yes, a slightly controversial image, considering I'm two aatmas in one body. I am a man and I am a woman, and I can be this and I can be that. I think that will keep the fun alive, because even I don't know when I'm going to want to be the man and when I'm going to want to be the woman; that will depend on the mood inside the house. But as they say, variety is the spice of life, so this I promise – that I'm going to offer the viewers a lot of variety.

You're a very glamorous person – will you be able to handle the chores and the work required?
Not really. Honestly, I've always had people running errands for me and doing the chores. I'm very spoilt that way – I am a begum. But yeah, I've never done anything myself, I've always had people to do it for me, but I guess this is going to be good training that way.

You had a talk show on Indian TV too, but you weren't seen after that.
Haan, show tha, and then I'd signed a film as well. But then 26/11 happened, and there was a cold daur between India and Pakistan. The work of all the Pakistani artistes who worked in India was affected. But I'm glad we've moved on from there, and the governments look interested in peace and resolving issues through dialogue. Iss waqt jo ek environment hai, of peace and reconciliation, isme jitney bhi artistes hain Pakistan se, they're doing great work. I've always maintained that Mumbai is the mecca for all artistes, since Bollywood is the biggest film industry in the world. Pakistan se hum sab jo artistes hain, unki khwahish hai ki hum Bollywood mein kaam karein. Because every artiste looks for a platform. We artistes don't get caught up in trivialities like religious divides and borders, because we believe in humanity and spreading love and joy around us. I think that if politicians can show some maturity, things will work out best for entertainers and for people at large.

Have you been following the Aman Ki Asha campaign?
I have – I've been keeping a close watch on it, actually. It's a great initiative; yeh toh chalta rehna chahiye till we find durable and long-lasting peace in the region, and more people should create even more awareness about it. Peace is a concept that will appeal to people universally. If you go to someone and say that I am working for peace, no one will resist that, because inside, every human being is looking for peace. Hota yeh hai ki chand nasir elements jo hote hain, woh apne vested interests ke liye logon ke beech rifts create karte hain, unhe uksate hain, ladai karne pe majboor karte hain. Aur isme nuksaan kiska hota hai? Aam logon ka. Aur fayda kiska hota hai? Handful of politicians ka. I think that the way the media has evolved now and the way awareness is increasing among people, the day is not far when people will be able to see through these vicious designs, combat these negative elements, and come together for a very stable, peaceful and progressive South Asia.

Which film had you signed in India?
It's a matter of the past now, nahin hua, toh I don't think I should talk about it now. I have done a film in Pakistan which will release while I'm in the house, though – it's called "Love Mein Gum".

No comments:

Post a Comment