Monday, August 23, 2010

Mohammad Aamer has insisted he remains unaffected by the “pressure” of playing international cricket. photo

“Pressure, what pressure?” says Aamer
Monday, 23 Aug, 2010

“I believe that pressure is something that an individual creates for himself and it’s something that you can avoid. I guess it’s just down to the individual and the characteristics of an individual.” —AP Photo

LONDON: Pakistan’s teenage fast bowling sensation Mohammad Aamer has insisted he remains unaffected by the “pressure” of playing international cricket.

The 18-year-old left-arm quick was named man-of-the-match in Pakistan’s four-wicket third Test win at The Oval for his impressive career-best five wickets for 52 runs in England’s second innings.

He has now taken 13 wickets at an average of just over 20 apiece in three Tests against England.

And it’s not just his bowling that shows maturity beyond his years.

Aamer’s resourceful tail-end batting has been a feature of the current campaign and his patient unbeaten four helped Pakistan to their victory target at The Oval in a win that reduced England’s series lead to 2-1 ahead of the fourth and final Test starting at Lord’s on Thursday.

“I don’t really let pressure affect me at all,” Aamer told the PakPassion.net website.

“I believe that pressure is something that an individual creates for himself and it’s something that you can avoid. I guess it’s just down to the individual and the characteristics of an individual.”

He added: “I just go out there, relax, smile, enjoy myself, play my natural game, do what comes naturally to me and play my cricket according to the conditions and match situation. The more you worry about things when you are out there in the middle, the more problems you are going to encounter.”

Aamer and Mohammad Asif are rapidly developing into one of the best new-ball pairings in world cricket and Aamer said: “He’s a fantastic guy to bowl in tandem with.

“He’s such a threatening bowler, someone who has the ability to take a wicket with every delivery.

“He never gives the opposition batsmen any respite. His nagging accuracy and skill really helps me and I think we complement each other very well.”

Aamer also paid tribute to the influence of Pakistan coach and fast bowling great Waqar Younis, as well as team bowling coach Aaqib Javed, on his game.

“Both Waqar and Aaqib have really helped me improve as a bowler. They guide me quite literally session by session.

“They will sit down and talk to me at the end of each session when I have been bowling and explain to me what I did well and what I didn’t do well in the completed session of cricket.

“In addition they will talk to me about the upcoming session and what is required of me. They are of great help to me and I believe that I can only improve as a bowler with guys like Waqar and Aaqib around me.”

Aamer explained he was not trying to bowl ‘magic’ deliveries.

“I feel that if I try too many different things and experiment too much, then that affects the quality of my cricket. My philosophy is to keep it simple and stick to the basics instead of trying to be too clever.”

Aamer, on course to reach the landmark of 50 wickets in his 14th Test at Lord’s, added: “It’s great to be going into the final match at with some momentum. We’ll be going all out for victory at Lord’s.” —AFP

Tags: mohammad aamer mohammad amir

No comments:

Post a Comment